Friday, October 19, 2012

Pancetta Tesa


Pancetta Tesa is pork belly or side that is salt cured. This pancetta is kept flat. It is cubed for rendering or adding directly to dishes for flavor and richness, sliced thin for serving on its own, or cut in lardons.

Lately I have been searching for local organic or hormone free pork. I have been talking to local farmers that raise heritage breeds of pigs. These are pigs that our grandparents got to eat but commercial pork produces don’t raise these types anymore because they will not do well in confined areas. These pigs are free roaming pigs they eat acorns, apples and anything else off the land. The pork I used for this was a Berkshire Tamworth mix. I encourage you to try some; you won’t find this at a local supermarket

The cure was made up of salt and I started using an Italian sea salt from the salt pans of of the Trapani coast and cure #2 since I was going to dry cure if fully.  I also added fresh garlic, black pepper, juniper berries, rosemary and thyme.  The meat cured in this mixture for 7 days. 

After 7 days it was cured and was pretty firm.  I washed the cure off and dusted with black pepper. I strung it up and placed it into the dry chamber at 55 degrees and 70% humidity.  I want to be able to eat it raw like prosciutto or cook with it, so it needs to lose at least 30% of its weight. In about a month or two I will update the site with its progress.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment